The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Friday, August 7, 2009

Blue Hydrangea



Like in old cans of paint the last green hue,

these leaves are sere and rough and dull-complected

behind the blossom clusters in which blue

is not so much displayed as it's reflected;


They do reflect it imprecise and teary,

as though they'd rather have it go away,

and just like faded, once blue stationery,

they're tinged with yellow, violet and gray;


As in an often laundered children's smock,

cast off, its usefulness now all but over,

one senses running down a small life's clock.


Yet suddenly the blue revives, it seems,

and in among these clusters one discovers

a tender blue rejoicing in the green.

English translation by Bernhard Frank of Ranier Maria Rilke's poem

2 comments:

MAMACITA said...

Wow. I was so glad (I guess) to find when I got to the bottom of those words, that you weren't the AUTHOR. Why glad? Dunno. It actually wouldn't have shocked me to see your name there! But... very beautiful. Words and pictures!

Jacqueline said...

The problems for me was I clicked on the envelope and not the comment part. Somedays, I wonder how I graduated from college. Ugh!
Beautiful pictures and words!