The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Flights Of Fancy With Two Santas

Yesterday Chelsea and I took Sawyer to visit with Santa Claus. As you can see he is now officially one year old.


Nannie Joy to the rescue

Who was that guy anyway?

After that we drove to Santa Ana, official county seat of County of Orange, to get a copy of Sawyer's birth certificate and apply for a passport for him. The passport agency is in the old courthouse, apparently built around 1910 or so. When you walk in the red brick building it feels like a step into the past. There were a few couples hanging around applying for marriage licenses. Also, a few friends of these happy couples taking pictures.

When Chelsea filled out the application for Sawyer she put height-24". Which reminded me that Brittany applied for baby Juliette's passport about 6 days after she was born because they have a post-Christmas visit to Cancun coming up. She filled out height-19", hair-brown?, eyes-blue? It's a pretty safe bet that she won't look like her photo even 30 days after the application is processed. My passport expired in October so I had renewed it the month before. Needless to say I didn't look like my photo either from 10 years ago. A little more lines and sags and jowls in the new picture. Fortunately, the new passports are so encrypted and encoded you can't really see your face anymore anyway.

So what's with our obsession with passports? This is the way I see it. What if someone calls and says "Come to Paris tomorrow" and the only thing holding you back is your passport? That would be tres mal, n'est-ce pas? Tres terrible. When Paris is sending forth its siren song I pay attention, or as my French teacher used to say, "Mademoiselle Joyce, fait attention!" And my response, "I believe, I believe!"

3 comments:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

That's a good picture of santa! Don't you love the chip in the passport now! Makes me feel like a special agent. =)

Unknown said...

He is so cute...Santa that is.

Valerie said...

If Paris calls you, make sure to 3-way-call me. Je viens!