The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Please Mess with the Babysitter

The Woolf Family 1959

Who would have guessed when I spent all those hours babysitting my younger brothers and sisters (my memory of growing up while Cheryl was playing the violin and getting straight A's and mom was at work) would pay off in such a great way? As the second-born, and in typical contrast to my more conscientious older sister, I learned very early that I could get decent enough grades and still play all day, also known as "babysitting". John and Fred were pretty independent, building forts, doing paper routes and scouting. Marlene and Sandy ran the neighborhood with their shirts off , hung out at their friends' homes, and agreed to do my dishes duty for a nickle, and Bill was very happy sitting in his stroller when Buffy, the family dog, would lick his face. I was responsible enough. No one got hurt on my watch. I orchestrated Marlene's 6th birthday party. I sewed doll clothes for Sandy's Tiny Tears. And I changed lots of Bill's diapers. Lots and lots of Bill's diapers.


Bill contemplating whether or not he was dropped off by a UFO


So imagine my great joy, when along with all the other great things Bill has done for me throughout my life in trying to pay me back for all my compassionate service rendered, he dropped into town last night and bought me a 3G 16GB iphone! Yippee and hurray! I have wanted one since they came out but didn't know how to justify it. Now, after having played with it for just a few hours, I don't know how I've lived without it! My merge call button is a little tempermental and I have to get that checked out but I'm downloading my ringtones and I've got my contacts and email up and running, plus my ipod is transported over. I'll just be a walking talking fool after my learning curve increases.


Cheryl, you could have had one of THESE instead of straight A's
Well, a great big thank you to baby brother Bill! I'm so glad I didn't have to wait for my reward in heaven for all my loving sacrifice. It's sitting right next to me on the table, and wait let me check on it...it's 81 degrees in Dana Point and 2:14AM on Halloween in Katmandu !

8 comments:

Brittany Archibald said...

Oh my goodness, I am so happy for you. You should see the smile on my face. What a wonderful brother. :) Go Bill! He's so good like that. FYI, it's 38 degrees in Boston on the night before Halloween. (That's actually 10 degrees warmer than what it was 2 nights ago.) We'll miss you at Beacon Hill tomorrow night.

MAMACITA said...

Very nice!! What a brother!! Bud just got an iphone a week or so ago and he's LOVING every second of it!! Last time he came down to visit he showed me some of the stuff it does and they are pretty dang amazing! I think this means he's making too much money! Or maybe--we need to charge him rent?!

jowo said...

You got it mamasita, it's gonna cost bud about $20/day from now on! (Except AT&T is taking a huge hit on the phone currently to get customers so it's a really good deal. You sure you don't wanna get one yourself?)

Eli said...

Hurrah! Now the government can monitor all your communications through just one device. I hope you like your new phone. I was jealous of several people that were in the van with me on my nine hour trip to Sun Valley. They had iphones and thus entertainment the whole trip. When they got service anyway. I just had my imagination and some Great Basin desert scenery. It was cool though.
P.S.
I like JOWO. It could be your avant garde, one name, artist name.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

I don't think my mom would ever grasp technology to the extent that she could operate a spiffy iphone. BTW, what are all the kids looking at in the picture? =)

Eli said...

Vanessa,
That's funny. I wondered the same thing. What ever it was, Sandy didn't find it amusing. What a beautiful family though.

MAMACITA said...

Yah, that's who he got it from. AT&T! And...I forgot to say....loved seeing these B&W pictures!! AND...I had to do it---looked up Alma 32:13-16! Was glad to get an explanation of how you came up with that title!

Unknown said...

I love our family