The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Boston Part 2

There's a little iceskating rink next to The Charles Hotel in Harvard Square that we decided to go skating at during my Boston visit. Jordan didn't have school that day so we all piled into the SUV, bundled up and full of good cheer. At first I wasn't planning on skating because of my less than sturdy ankles, having twisted, sprained, bruised and battered them one time to0 many. The last time was a few Decembers ago when, the day after Christmas, at six in the morning I stumbled out to the utility room in the dark hoping to help Eli get his clothes out of the dryer before I had to get him to the train station for an early ride back to San Francisco. Just the night before I'd said something about "someone should move their big fat stinkin' tennis shoes away from the stairs...someone could trip on them." I, however, not having moved them myself, was the one who tripped on both of them the next morning and immediately heard a "crack--crack!" which to this day I believe was a little break in both of my ankles. I instantly fell down on top of the shoes, gasped and writhed in pain, and then pulling my extra-Christmas-weight body up by my hands and elbows, slithered back into the house. As I rounded the corner in my flannel red and white nightgown, stomach sagging against the kitchen floor, Eli came walking into the room, somewhat shocked. I still remember very clearly hearing him say, "Mom, are you OK?" This still makes me laugh my head off just thinking about it. I mean really, do you think your mom would be lying on the kitchen floor at 6AM, the day after Christmas, and be OK? We didn't even have eggnog the night before. What was he thinking? But I digress.

Anyway, knowing I probably wouldn't be able to take the rink on my own two legs I sat it out for a few minutes. But when I realized that even the youngins' were using crates for balance, okay, they said it was to push the kids around, but whatever, I decided to join them. I have long maintained that going and watching something somewhere is always fun, but participating is even more fun. That especially applies to the beach. A day at the beach is even better when you've gotten in the water.


Jordan and Annie circling the rink

Brittany, much braver and stronger than I, helping Jakey out

I used the crate to push my hat around

One wonderful thing about The Charles Hotel is that it's also next to Legal Seafood. I'd been craving their clam chowder during my last few Boston visits but we'd never gotten around to it. This time we scored. And yes, it was as good as I remembered. Some people are snobs against Legal Seafood's clam chowder, but not me--I really like it. And I so appreciate Jordan and Brittany making the effort to let me try it again. Another interesting thing about The Charles Hotel. There's a little cafe there called Henrietta's Table. It's motto is "Fresh and Honest". I'm not exactly sure what "dishonest" food is but I thought maybe this would be a good business tagline for me.... "Your Fresh and Honest Realtor-Serving Orange County!" I've retired the "Joyce Woolf--Even Red Riding Hood Loves Me" and "Joyce Storey--A Success Storey You'll Want to Repeat". Whether a troubled economy or one that's healthy, fresh and honest would be a good thing.

That afternoon Brittany, Annie and I had a special visit to The American Girl store at the Natick Mall. I got a kick out of watching Annie decide which "one special outfit" she was allowed to choose for her American Girl Bitty Baby. It was really a hard decision for her as it would be for any girl faced with so many options. I've included the picture below because, I don't know if you can see it or not, but the expression on Brittany was priceless. The tilt of her head, the somewhat "C'mom Annie, make up your mind" expression in her mouth, the glazed over eyes. I, on the other hand, was thinking, "Yes, darling beautiful granddaughter of mine, you may have the whole store. Anything, anything for you, my precious little girl whom I adore more than life itself!"-----But then, I wasn't paying for it.

Annie chose well. She got the swimsuit and sandles outfit, in memory of California

Early dinner at the store's Bistro which included cardboard-tasting kids' food at exhorbitant prices, but dollies get their own attached booster seats so maybe it's worth it

The visit ended too soon. I flew home the next afternoon. What takes 4 hours and 45 minutes going east takes 6 1/2 hours going west. I had a window seat and the person in the middle seat, having ingested something before take off, slept the whole way, which tended to keep me in my seat the entire time. I didn't want to wake her up. I'm talking stiff legs and potential blood clots. By the time I'd arrived in Dana Point and gotten into bed it was 3:30 am Boston time. I don't think my body has yet recovered. But lucky me! Two days later I joined Jordan's mom for a fantastic lunch at The Montage in Laguna Beach. Thanks, Margaret! And the day after that Marlene and Mackenna came to call.

Stay tuned for more fun adventures from this fresh and honest gal!





5 comments:

Brittany Archibald said...

Wow mom! The last 2 times I've been with you I've seen you do things I never thought you would do (the ride on Space Mountain and the ice skating in Boston). I'm so impressed! You're living life to the fullest! We love it and we love you!!

Unknown said...

Brittany - She ice skates in Boston all the time she just doesnt tell you when she's there.

Frank said...

Fresh and Honest. I like it Foyce. You look like you had a great trip. So much fun with the adorable grandkids.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Ooh American Girl store. I don't think they had an actual store you went into when I was a kid.

Jacqueline said...

I think this little girl Annie is most adorable! And "sexually frustrated helicopter Mom" actually has a gorgeous Annie also. Just a wacky Mom who will turn a cute little girl into a very crazy adult. Sad. Your visit looks like it was so much fun. Do your kids know how lucky they are to have you? Let me remind them -- You are SO LUCKY!