The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ye Have Done It Unto Me

On a delightful Saturday afternoon at Doheny State Beach when my nephew and niece were learning to surf I happened to observe the following scene just a few feet away from me. As these girls started walking across the sand and positioned themselves nearby, I was so disturbed by what I saw that I started taking pictures as a reminder of how cruel we can be, how uncaring and thoughtless and unkind. And also as a reminder to be more aware of my circumstances, no matter what age, and watch out for the one on the "outside".

When I was in 6th grade my teacher had us look at pictures from Life Magazine and then write a story about them. Upon seeing these girls I wanted to write their story. I wanted to know what the girl on the left was feeling. I wondered what pain and self-consciousness and insecurity she was experiencing. Whose mother’s friend's daughter or cousin or sister was she? Who encouraged her to wear what she wore and tag along? And who would be there for her when she went home, trying to be brave and say she had a wonderful time at the beach? Who would believe her brave smile and ignore her tear-stained eyes and humiliation? Or who would be there to comfort her?

I wondered all sorts of questions. And in the end I decided not to write the story. The pictures tell it all.






5 comments:

Brittany Archibald said...

I want to go give wedgies to all those leggy girls on the right.

Post-it Notes said...

Wow, the pictures really do say it all... Thanks for posting this!

p.s. I agree with Brittany :)

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

ah you can see she still succumbs to peer pressure. She should not be wearing that!!!!

bdoyle said...

This made me cry. Although I've never worn a too-small bikini on a beach, I have definitely felt the terrible pangs of not fitting in (as I'm sure most everyone in the world has at some point or another). What a poignant reminder of looking out for the one. I love your phrasing and sensitivity as always, tante joycie.
Happier note: I'm soooo excited to see you this weekend!! Hudson gets the biggest grin when I tell him where we're going. Of course he grins at most things I say, but still... you can be flattered. :) Love you!

June admin said...

A picture is worth a thousand words, found you blog while blogging, great writting. My new blog could use some loving http://smoothrockfallsspayandneuter.blogspot.com/