The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Now the Curtain Opens on a Portrait of Today

Way back in July it was hard to imagine what November 18th would hold in store for us. When Chelsea's perinatologist told her to go on strict bed rest at 4 months along followed by two hospital stays for pre-term labor, we didn't know if little Sawyer would make it all the way, much less make it at all. But due to her incredible ability to follow all the rules, and I don't say this lightly, but not exactly one of her strong personality traits, she has successfully brought her pregnant self to 36 WEEKS!

36 WEEKS...the magic words, 36 WEEKS--no more meds, 36 WEEKS--no more bed rest, 36 WEEKS--"Go dancing!" Dr. Posner said. At 36 weeks she could get her hair done again, get a manicure and pedicure, eat out at restaurants, go to movies, go shopping, and do all those things without feeling guilty. And so she did. Today the nail salon and Olive Garden, tomorrow the world! She actually got her hair done 3 days ago and we went shopping yesterday. But still...

Tomorrow is Chelsea's 32nd birthday. So we'll be eating out again, at Salt Creek Grille, on my brother, John's, recommendation. We celebrate together. She for doing so well and having survived. Me for holding down the fort for her and knowing I, too, will now get some of my life back. I remember well the day she was born. It truly was a Chelsea Morning!

"There was milk and toast and honey and a bowl of oranges, too. And the sun poured in like butterscotch and stuck to all my senses."

When the docs first told her what the last 4 months would require she was thinking, "Man, that's for the birds!" But take a look at this picture I took on my iphone last Saturday. Gives the expression a whole new meaning. I think the only thing these guys are thinking about are their endless possibilities.

"And the streets are paved with passersby and the pigeons fly and the papers lie waiting to blow away"

Life's a beach, then you fly!

4 comments:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

I very much enjoy your writing. I'm also excited to read about your life. Never really had that opportunity. I'm getting to see how truly cool you are! =)

MAMACITA said...

I very much enjoy your writing also, although I've ALWAYS known how cool you are!! :)

Unknown said...

I am so excited for Chelsea!!!!! Way to go. And way to you for being there for her. There's no way she could have done it alone. I love your Joni Mitchell song and started singing it while I was reading. I am becoming more and more convinced that I need to move down there so we can write a screenplay together, n'est-ce pas?

Unknown said...

p.s. Lynn Truss, the woman who wrote Eats Shoots and Leaves gave our forum address yesterday. You can watch it online at www.byub.org. I'm not sure exactly where you watch it, but it's on there. It was fantastic, and since you're a spelling/grammar stickler yourself, I think you'd enjoy it :)