The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Saturday, November 22, 2008

What Do You Need?

Dana Point Harbor

The other day Chelsea and I went down to the harbor. It was a really clear and beautiful afternoon as you can see. One of those days that makes you so happy to live in California.

In spite of all the crazy stuff that goes on in this state, there's nothing like the peace that comes from looking at boats and dreaming about all the wonderful adventures you could have as you sail away. I especially like to read the names of the boats. I asked Chelsea what she would name her boat if she had one. She said Chelsea Drugstore from the Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want." I've listened and sung to that song since 1969, 7 years before she was born, and yet she knew every word of the lyrics, and all I knew was "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime you just might find you get what you need."

It's a good question to ask myself as to what do I really want, especially in this season of Thanksgiving. World peace like in "Groundhog Day"? Yeah, that would be nice but I don't see it happening for awhile. A room of my own other than in Chelsea's apt? I'm okay for now. Good health? I've got that. Love from and for my children and family? Got that. A car that's paid for? Check that off. Hmmmm, how about a boat?

I'd name it Napa Dog Road from a dream I had one time. And I'd love a boat sometime. But I still don't really need one. I have so many blessings this is hard.

I'm thinking, I'm thinking.....Do you know what you might want but might not get ?

Today when we were back at the harbor and it was cold and foggy Chelsea looked over into the water and said, "What's that? Is that a man in the water?" I looked over and hey, it was a dolphin! It was jumping up and then diving back in and was about 15 feet from us. That was really cool. And what a treat! But I didn't need to see a dolphin; it was just a little extra gift from the day.

Okay, I've got it!

I want SUGAR! I decided to cut way back on my sugar intake last Thursday, today is day 3, and whenever I do this to myself day 3 is always the hardest. Grrrrrr!! That's what I want. And not having it makes me scream, "I can't get no satisfaction!" So in order to get what I need I'm going to go into the kitchen and eat a cracker with cheese. This probably sounds stupid with Thanksgiving just around the corner and the year's greatest all-time feast. But since it's just the two of us this year (or three if Sawyer shows up) we're taking it easy on Thursday. If the sun comes back by then we'll enjoy a picnic down by the beach and, according to the old grade school joke, eat the sand which is there.

2 comments:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

My 10th grade World Cultures teacher always quoted that line! Everytime a student would complain about a homework assignment or a bad grade, he would quote it! That song leaves a bad taste in my mouth. ;)

Unknown said...

I'm so sad you're not going to be around for this Thanksgiving!!! Especially since I found the best pie crust recipe of all time - not even kidding. I joined a website called Cooks Illustrated and it has changed my life. They of course have many pie crust recipes, but they have one that blows everything else I've ever made out of the water. It's flakey, not too salty, a bit sweet, buttery but not too rich. It tastes a little bit like Scottish shortbread but not as heavy. I'm cannot wait to make the pies this year. I've been searching for this recipe since I was 16.
p.s. I gave up Coke - again - last week and I feel for your sugar cravings. My roommates drink it like it's going out of style so it's constantly available. Curses!!