The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2009 Free Birthdays in the Happiest Place on Earth

Last Saturday I drove to Long Beach Airport to pick up Brittany and Annie who had come to visit for a week. (Jordan and Jakey went from the family Christmas in Park City to Potomac, MD for a few days.) On Monday night, Brittany and Chelsea began my birthday week with a great taco dinner and German chocolate cake, decorations and presents. I set my camera's self-timer for a group picture but it took a few tries to figure it out.


Annie, Brittany, Me, Sawyer, and Chelsea

Then on Tuesday it was off to Disneyland for Brittany, Annie and me where birthdays are free this year. Boy, was that fantastic. First of all, everyone who has a birthday wears a button that says Happy Birthday (insert name), which allows for everyone passing by or every employee who notices to wish you birthday greetings. Meanwhile, your friends wear an "I'm celebrating" button. And then you have all these other people running around with your same birthday and thusly, everyone is wishing everyone a happy birthday. Since going to Disneyland is like one big birthday party anyway it gives you a double-whammy of happiness.


The weather was perfect, the crowds were minimal, the cotton candy, popcorn, and churos delicious, the rides exhilarting (including my first time on Space Mountain, having concluded that if I DID die from it I'd had a good life), and my companions the best. My first trip to Disneyland was 50 years ago (did I say 50?). I'm so glad, as I'm sure you are, too, that there are some things just as magical and wonderful as the first time you experienced them. Thanks, Walt!

2 comments:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Ramsey's favorite cake is German Chocolate cake. I try to get that for him every birthday but it's hard to find a good one. You can't trust grocery stores although Harmons bakes their own and its decent. BTW I HATE Space Mountain. I always feel so horribly sick to my stomach.

jowo said...

Vanessa, I'm including Brittany's German Chocolate Frosting recipe so all will be satisfied at Ramsey's next birthday or even before:
German Chocolate Frosting
*Bake 1 box of German Chocolate cake(Duncan Hines usually makes the best) in two rounded pans and use this frosting in the middle and all along the sides!
1 can 12 oz. evaporated milk
1 ½ c. sugar
¾ c. butter/margarine (1 ½ sticks)
4 egg yolks beaten
1 ½ t. vanilla
1 7 oz. pkg. coconut
1 ½ c. chopped pecans
Stir milk, sugar, butter, yolks, and vanilla in large saucepan—stir constantly. Cook at medium heat 12 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat and stir in coconuts and pecans. Cool until spreading consistency (about 30 minutes).