The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Cherries Plukt at Noon

In the course of going from one thing to another to another I came upon a paragrah in a 2006 word document I'd saved that was my "introduction-bio" or whatever you'd call it when I spent two crazy months on two LDS singles sites. The paragraph made me laugh and barf at the same time. Just a few days previously, an apparently somewhat mentally unstable woman in my ward told me that I must go to the Orange County LDS singles activities because my future husband was searching for me there but he was ready to give up because he was afraid I wasn't coming. After checking to see if she had tarot cards or tea leaves stashed in her purse I told her that I wasn't quite ready for a husband yet; that I still had some things I had to do (like my taxes, clean my room, wash my hair, alphabetize my spices, see my grandchildren married, etc. etc.).

These two little experiences shouldn't have freaked me out but I admit they did. It's caused me to ever so slightly evaluate my current social standing of which I had been feeling quite content. I'm trying to create a career that can carry me for the next 15 years or before dementia sets in, whichever comes first, and mixing that up with a love interest isn't in the business plan.

Meanwhile, my niece sent me a recent essay she wrote about why she loves cherries and acknowledges the chief contributors being her mom and me. And one thing leading to another and another and another caused me to capture this picture from the internet and use it as my laptop wallpaper along with a poem by Jeffrey Spahr-Summers:

Cherry

Said to be

Red

Sweet

With seed

Once in a lifetime

Treat

Firm

Ripe

So certain

Like love

Then lost

Forever

Is this my problem?

1 comment:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

That's a cool poem. Cherries are so good and delicious...you know that little crunch and then sweet and sour juice immediately pleases the taste buds..but then it's over you get that seed that is obnoxious.... and soon the cherries are all gone and then you wonder when the next time you'll eat cherries because cherries are not like potato chips...they are a very rare treat! mmmm cherries....