The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Monday, December 1, 2008

Can You Believe It's December?

I can't.

My life has been spent the last few months with countdowns to the birth of Sawyer. Now the real fun begins. I love December. I'm not always that crazy about Christmas Day but I sure enjoy the excitement that leads up to it. And this year I'm especially happy that I practically don't have to do anything about it. We're not decorating the apartment (all the ornaments are in storage), we're not putting up a tree (somehow it didn't get on the truck), I'm not hanging lights outside from a 20-ft. ladder (where is the ladder?) and besides, the guy across the street has lit up his unit so we get to see lights without all the work. I might put up a colored strand or two inside but mostly I do that so I get the flavor of a Mexican restaurant and I tend to leave them up well into springtime. I am looking for a place to hang the Christmas cards, and a corner to pile a few presents that we'll take with us up to Granite Bay. For people like my friend, Lynn, who love to decorate for Christmas, my minimalist approach to the Christmas extravaganza must seem unbelievable if not downright Scroogey. For me, it's like the best Christmas present ever. I'm sure (maybe) by next year I'll be ready to jump back in on all the fuss.

We plan on leaving around 12/22 to enjoy the holidays w/ my family in northern CA. A friend is letting us stay at their house so we have some space and a little quiet time for Sawyer. Both Chelsea and I are so thrilled that little Sawyer came last Monday instead of today, or next week, or the week after that, which will make him 4 weeks old by then and just perfect for the drive.

I think the one thing I will miss is my antique wooden Coca Cola Santa Claus from the 1930's. He's been a constant companion of mine longer than my kids or any husband. Since he's in storage, too, and there's absolutely nowhere to set him up currently, I will display him here. There we go...my Christmas decorating is done, virtual style, along with greetings from Eli and Reg.

If Santa ain't happy, no one's happy

3 comments:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

I can't tell who's cuter!

Unknown said...

I miss your Santa too!!!! I'm so excited to see you guys over Christmas. I'm sure Cailey will probably hold the baby the most since she's pretty much the babysitting expert, but I'm sure I'll get my fair turn. I still remember the very first time I held Annie. She was so small and beautiful and she smelled just like Brittany :) I'm sure I'll love Sawyer just as much.

MAMACITA said...

This was just plain FUN to read! And I'm totally into your best Christmas gift ever---not having to decorate!! The years go by so fast now that I feel like I just got done taking DOWN the tree and all the fluff! Also love your description of yourself on the sidebar!