The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Visitors and Visits

Our family is fasting for Mom this week. She is having some health complications. Fasting doesn't come easy for me, especially with my Sacrament meeting early in the day. However, it's always easier w/ a noble purpose and something like this blog to divert my need to munch.

Sawyer had his first doctor's appt on Monday. He did the usual baby thing by dropping 7oz. of his birth weight down to 5lbs.14oz. But he measured at 18 3/4" telling us he wasn't 17 1/2" when he was born which is what they said. We had to go back on Thursday to make sure he'd started gaining 1 oz/day, which he had--he's doing great and eating very well. My BYU roommate and longtime friend, Nancy Metcalf, came to call on Tuesday. "It's always fun when Nancy comes, when Nancy comes we're gay." Man, it bugs me that that word has been taken away from us. On Thursday my brother, Bill, was in town for business and my sister, Cheryl, and her granddaughter, Stephanie, came down from the LA area and joined us for a great meal of beef stroganoff. Poor Cheryl started driving back at 11pm. What a long night for her, but we sure appreciated her efforts. And I think she really enjoyed seeing the baby even though her house is full of grandkids.


Nancy Lucetta Hellewell Metcalf cuddling the babe


Great-uncle Bill (and I do mean Great!) and Sawyer feeling very mellow

Sawyer's great-aunt Cheryl brought lots of presents which made him happy

On Friday we took a little outing up to Newport Beach to Roger's Gardens. What an amazing site to behold. We loved walking among the fresh cut trees for sale and admiring all the ornaments and floral arrangements. Chelsea and I were a couple of losers trying to figure out the stroller in the parking lot even though I'd already carefully studied the mechanics a few weeks before. We got there around 3:30 and by the time the stroller was open the sun was setting. Not really, but sometimes these new baby things are so simple they're complicated.

www.rogersgardens.com

This place reminded me of when we used to go into San Francisco at Christmastime as kids and Mom would take us to Podesto Baldacci. I often wondered why we would go into someplace if we never bought anything. I soon learned that the sole purpose was to breathe in the grandeur. Thanks, Mom, for instilling in us your appreciation for beauty and nature. As we pushed Sawyer along the pathways I had a chance to also give Chelsea a little botany lesson, pointing out some of my favorite flowers. When I pointed out the camillias, I said, "These are the plants that Grandma Lulu and Grandpa Doug had in their front yard." She said, "As soon as I saw those I thought they remind me of a Grandma plant but I didn't know why".

You gotta love the weather down here!

And, oh yes, Little Sawyer's umbilical cord fell off so he got his first official in-the-water bath.

Lucky for me Chelsea lets me have the honor

Have a great Sunday! I think I'm going to head into the kitchen and think about what I might want to eat soon now, very soon.



5 comments:

MAMACITA said...

So sweet. The whole thing. Sorry to hear your mom isn't doing so well. Keep me posted. That baby couldn't be any cuter!

Unknown said...

I hope grandma gets beter. I am obsessed w/ the pic of him in the bath. Maybe it is because I am his mom but he is the cutest and the sweetest and I want to smooch on him all day long. Every page on the internet should be dedicated to him.

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Wow! That baby is too cute! And wow! My mom got skinny!

Valerie said...

The photo of Sawyer with Uncle Bill, reminds me of Chelsea. Something about his expression reminds me of Chelsea as a child. So cute!! I didn't know Grandma was having problems. Can a fast be retroactive? My Mom had a fabulous time. So glad you were able to get together. Can't wait 'till we get to see Sawyer. Alyssa will point and say, "Baby, baby!" and cry jealously when I hold him. Audrey will want to hold him and give him kisses. Babies enter our household at their own risk. We sure love them!

jowo said...

we welcome all visitors!