The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

European Vacation

[in Germany, Clark peers down at a village in the hills and tears come to his eyes]

Clark Griswold: There it is, kids, my motherland.
Rusty Griswold: Dad, Grandma's from Chicago.
Clark Griswold: Shut up, Russ.

Okay, okay, I know I'm hung up on the motherland also, the mother being England, France and Germany/Austria.
It's a strange feeling to walk down the Getredigasse in Salzburg and see people who look like all my aunts and uncles, especially great-uncle Emil. Half the old men in Austria look like Emil. Bavaria is where is get the "roll out the barrels" side of me. Lili Marlene swears she saw Aunt Elaine there when we all know Elaine was still living outside Blackfoot, ID.


Overlooking Mondsee, Austria

Me, chatting it up with the locals (nein, I don't spreken zie deutsch) wondering what's up w/ the delay

In merry old England, my British roots take hold. Maybe that's why I was an English major?

Roaming around the Cotswolds brings out the quaint and teatime part of me

And yes, I am a Francophile. My great-great grandma Sarah Ann DeVoe expects it of me. Je t'aime francais, et je suis tres jolie quand je pense conernant tout choses francais. (Valerie, feel free to laugh at my feeble attempt at one of the mother tongues)

Long live justice, equality, liberty--- here I celebrate my independence

But, c'mon. Who wouldn't love visiting Europe when my brother-in-law, Kelly, sends us over there first class to celebrate Marlene's 50th birthday? Was that a great trip or what? I've been several times, but not having to fly coach made this particular trip extra fantastic! I like hobnobbing with the rich and famous.

Living the high life with Marlene, another happy wanderer

So I'm putting travelling in Europe as something I love for my post on Day 7. When my ship comes in I'm renting a house in the south of France for a month. Will it be lavendar season? Sunflower season? Cherry season? Surely not le mistral season! Can't wait to find out.

4 comments:

Kat said...

You have a lot to be thankful for..happy days!!
Chicago is a good place to visit, too...just a bit cold these days.

Unknown said...

I shall go with you to France if you don't mind, and perhaps we can stay for all the seasons - our own Year in Provence, n'est-ce pas?

Unknown said...

You are like grandma...chatting w/ everybody even in a traffic jam. And I like the pic of you and marlene. Looks fun. Oh the finer things in life.

Valerie said...

Je t'aime La France, aussi!! Maybe Graton will get a job there, and you can come stay with us!!