The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Warning! Family Reunion in Progress!

Woolf Family somewhere outside Ephraim, UT 1989

Day 3 in my countdown to Valentine's Day and things I love is FAMILY REUNIONS. On my mom's side of the family I have at least 50 first cousins along with my own 6 brothers and sisters. Throw in all the Babbel aunts and uncles, and as time passes, additional spouses and the next generation (and now the generation after that) and it makes for some pretty great memories. We've reunioned in Twin Falls, Swan Valley and the Sawtooths in Idaho and joined up throughout Utah.

We've gathered in San Francisco and Sonoma, California. In smaller groups we've accumulated all over the West. Our most recent cousins reunion was about an hour up the Spanish Fork, UT canyon two summers ago, and word's out we've got another one coming up this June. The crowd keeps growing as more and more crazy people join this mixed up group of fruits and nuts. I'm so proud to be one of them.
Babbel Family Reunion, Sonoma State College, CA 1983

My Grandpa and Grandma Babbel were immigrants from Germany (actually East Prussia). They both joined the Mormon church over there but didn't meet until they'd arrived in Salt Lake City. Grandma was 18; Grandpa was just a little bit older. My mom tells me that Grandma was very innocent and didn't realize just exactly the connection between making whoopie and babies until her third son was born. Fortunately she went on to have six more kids after that because my mom was number seven of nine.

My mom's brothers and sisters: Roy, Fred, Art and Byron Babbel, Vera McKnight, Mom, Pearl Schenk, Elaine Harper. (their brother, Norman died when he was 18). Showing off the leg was part of their glamour shot.

Father's Day in El Cerrito, CA 1985--gathering around the old family dinner table

The occasion doesn't have to be formal. Impromptu will do. Come as you are is even better. Where two or three gather together I say it's PARTY TIME--Jay, start playing the Hokey Pokey!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

In the first photo Brittany's fish face and jazz hands are the best! Click on the picture to see it up close.

Jacqueline said...

Great pictures -- aren't you glad you have them?! I'm friends here with a great Babbel couple. He grew up in Twin Falls and his parents still live there. Ever heard of a Dr. David Babbel?

jowo said...

Sure, he's my cousin, Gary's, son. His grandpa Roy is the first one on the left of the bro/sister pic. Both Roy and his Grandma Rhoda died just a few years back. They are some of the greatest people ever. David has a sister Tamara. He lost both of his younger brothers to CF. It was very sad. His dad, Gary and Mom Ann are the salt of the earth. Say hi to him from his cousin Joyce (Olea and Tony's daughter).

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

eli's hair is the best! And its back in style!

Valerie said...

What happy memories! Love the pic of the table at Grandma's. Sunday dinners there were magnificient!!

Anonymous said...

My name is Peter Babbel, I am from down under, I know that my sister in-law, Robin has emailed David Babbel before, but to see photos of other Babbels is just great. I know that my family also came from East Prussa, I believe around the 1800's, settled into Berlin where my father was born just before the war. Also know from when my Auntie came out for a one and only visit that there are Babbels in the old East Germany, but have no more info on them. Drop us a line, would love to see your family tree to find out where it connects. My email address is "transporterq@hotmail.com". Many thanks, Peter.
PS: I know that there are currently two other Babbels in Queensland, I presume from your church, yes - no?

Paul Babbel said...

My name is Paul Babbel, I live in Colorado, and my father's side of the family sound to be from the same part of Prussia, his father was Ted Babbel. Our family is also part of the Mormon church in Grand Junction, Colorado. My father was military, so I spent a good portion of my life moving around and never really had any idea about my family tree other than they were from Utah, and my "ancestors" were from Prussia. It's a small world out there, and it's really cool to see that there are more of us Babbel's in the world than I ever thought. Thanks for putting this out there and online.
-paul