The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Boston-Part 2

Chelsea, Sawyer and I took the JetBlue redeye from Long Beach to Boston on May 19th. This was Sawyer's first airplane ride. He also seems to be the only one who got any sleep. We arrived at 2:00am PST or 5:00am EST and took a taxi to One Western Ave., Boston, known among locals as the ugliest building in Boston--known to us as the student apartment Brittany, Jordan, and kiddos lived in while at HBS. I have grown very fond of their 7th floor digs, and will miss all my good times there. The Archies were still in Potomac having been at Jordan's sister's wedding and didn't arrive until later in the afternoon at which time I drove back to the airport to pick them up. The following are some of the things we did those beginning few days before Brittany and Jordan alohaed it out of there.
First we all had to play with Baby Sawyer.


Chelsea, Sawyer and I walked to the Harvard Bookstore and posed above the Charles River.



Later we went to Walden Pond, got lost looking for Thoreau's house (because it's not there) and found our way back to the crummy little beach that was loaded with strange-accented speaking people. This was one of our only "hot" days. Which is why the crummy little beach was so cram packed with "s-as" people. Chelsea was convinced as we wandered through the woods that men from Deliverance were lurking behind each tree. Annie and I perservered singing "The Bear Went Over the Mountain", and Chelsea chimed in on the chorus, "Enough already I tell you, enough already I tell you, Enough..." (you get the point). I'd been wanting to go to Walden Pond for so many years, to wander through the mighty forest that inspired Thoreau and countless generations, that I was a little disappointed by some of the commonness of it. However, Brittany said that when she was there in the falltime it was gorgeous and quiet and uncomplicated. So perhaps I will have to go back.


In spite of all they had to do before taking off 2 1/2 days later, Jordan managed to surprise Brittany with a little late night pre-birthday party and ice cream cake from BR's so we celebrated along with some of their friends. It was fairly casual.

I drove Jord and Britt back to the airport on Sat and then the rain started coming and it rained and rained. We even had thunder and lightning. (No big deal for some of you, but I don't see much of that since I left Houston.)

But not to be outdone by Mr. Badsport Weather, Chelsea and I started planning some great day trips, threw the kiddos in the car, and off we went...exploring again...with bottles and diapers and car seats and maps and GPS's and cell phones and Cheez-Its and Goldfish and sippy cups and Diet Cokes and Aleve. Oh yes, coloring books and crayons and balls and dolls and blankies and blankies and blankies. And more Diet Cokes and Aleve.

More to follow. I leave for Utah tomorrow but hope to continue this exciting saga while on the road.

Yours truly, Jack Kerouac




No comments: