The Mercy Finder

The Mercy Finder

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Reggie...11/94-06/08/09

Eli called from Salt Lake and said, "Mom, Dad got me a new puppy and I'm bringing him home. He's part border collie/Australian cattle dog/blue heeler. I know you don't want a dog in the house so I'll keep him in his kennel when he's inside". That was almost 15 years ago. And he slept in the kennel for oh, maybe 5 days. From that point forward he was one of the family, sleeping anywhere he darn where chose.

Reginald Storey, "Reggie" became the best friend any boy or girl could ever have. He brought me such joy and companionship. He listened to my secrets and never passed them on. He greeted all my visitors but kept the bad guys out. He encouraged me to go on walks and hike in the Sierras but loved to take naps and watch TV as much or more than I. Although he was Eli's dog I got to have him alot of the time while he was travelling the world or working in far off places. Family reunions and large family dinners will not be the same without his hanging around our feet and eating the leftovers.

Last week Eli called to tell me that he didn't think Reggie would make it much longer. He had Old Dog Vestibular Syndrome and couldn't stand up, was very sick, and literally on his last leg. A few days passed and it became clear Reg would have to be put down. How sad we were when we heard it was finally over. Eli will pick up his ashes in 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to join him in the Sierras as we sprinkle the ashes in the wind. And hopefully Reggie will be one of those who greet us with other family members and friends as we pass through the veil and enter act three of our lives.

Reggie, I hope you're running and jumping and chasing squirrels. You will be missed.




8 comments:

Unknown said...

I just tried to post so if this posts twice oh well.
Reg! - We will miss you! You are a great and noble member of our family and we love you! We can't wait to see you on the other side as a young pup!

MAMACITA said...

As a proud "one-time-baby-sitter-of-Reggie", just wanted to express my condolences! What a great dog he was! We loved tending him that ONE time because he was so GOOD! It was like having an out-of-town visitor who had impeccable manners! Plus with the added adorable qualities of being sweet, warm and fuzzy! :) Sending a big hug over the internet waves!

papa and cilla said...

That is too sad. I have a hard time learning tender dog stories. I've lost one old dog and have another one who is losing ground. I feel your pain.

bdoyle said...

This post made me tear up. I think I first met Reggie at Brittany's HS graduation. I love that dog!

Brittany Archibald said...

Great, thanks for making me cry. I miss Reg...:(

Valerie said...

What a sweet dog.

Jacqueline said...

I love good dogs more than I ever thought I could.

Unknown said...

I told Briggs today that Reg had died and he was really upset. We probably would have started to cry except I told him during dinner with my roommates - my bad. I don't think I completely believe it yet. I loved him and will miss him so much. I searched the internet for good dog quotes and found a page with so many, I'm including the link, but this one was the best: Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones
I wish I could have scratched Reg one last time (wow, i'm absolutely ridiculous.) Here's the link: http://www.quotegarden.com/dogs.html